Prasanthi School for Children With Special Needs
This is a training centre imparting scientific training to mentally retarded children by special teachers under the direct supervision of qualified child psychiatrist. Services of Pediatrician, Dentist, Physiotherapist and Speech therapist are available at this centre. Training given for More than 105 students. The training given is absolutely free and no fees is collected from the students. Free transport is also provided to deserving students. Free lunch is given to all students. Vocational training is given to mentally retarded adults.
Prasanthi Centre for Autism
This is a centre exclusively for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders . Autism is a condition where communication and social behavior are abnormal. It has been estimated that 1in every 58 children in India are autistic and this is the only centre in Calicut where training is given to children with autism. The teachers at this centre are specially trained for autism. Training given for 10 students in this unit.
Prasanthi Centre for Slow Learners
Learning disability like Dyslexia, Dysgraphia and Dyscalculia are common among the students. To help those students with learning disability and slow learners, the trust has started a centre. In this centre the teacher-pupil ratio is 1: 8 and a Psychiatrist is also helping the students to overcome the learning disability. The learning problems of children are identified and remedial training is given for 16 students in this unit.
Prasanthi Centre for Early Intervention
This is a unit of trust where senior pediatricians examine new born babies for developmental disabilities.
Programmes And Services
- School for children with mental retardation (children with special needs)
- Training for children with autism spectrum disorders.
- Training for slow learners and children with learning disabilities.
- Unit for early identification of developmental disabilities.
- Home based training for parents of children with special needs.
- Vocational training for adult mentally retarded.
- Parent counseling and guidance services.
- Conducting seminars and workshops for parents, professionals and social workers.
- Publication of books and booklets in Malayalam for public awareness.
- Participation in state level and national level special Olympics.
- Participation in state level special quiz programme.
- Research work in the field of intellectual disability and publication of research papers.
- Guiding and assisting the parents to claim the benefits entitled to the children from government and other agencies.